Urgent: Stop the imminent demolition of Khan Al Ahmar
PLEASE TAKE URGENT ACTION BEFORE THIS THURSDAY
Ask your elected representative to act urgently to stop the imminent and unprecedented demolition of an entire Palestinian village in the occupied West Bank
Photo: Jonathan Adams. The school in Khan Al Ahmar.
You may have seen reports that demolition orders were served on the entire village of Khan Al Ahmar in the occupied West Bank on Sunday. As reported in Haaretz, the Israeli authorities have confirmed that such a large demolition is unprecedented and a declaration of intention in advance of an attempt to evacuate the entire village.
If the demolitions and forcible displacement of the villagers goes ahead it will be in grave violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention and will leave hundreds of men, women and children homeless. The village was given only five days to object to the orders. A court case has now been arranged for this Thursday, February 23, after which the demolitions could take place at any point.
Please use the template email below to contact your MP (in the UK) or TD (in Ireland) urgently asking them to act.
You can find out how to contact your MP or TD on the UK Parliament’s website or on the Who is my TD? website.
Please take note of the sections highlighted in red in the template below which need to be deleted as appropriate depending on whether you are writing to a British MP or an Irish TD.
Thank you for your support.
Dear [elected representative],
I am writing as your constituent to ask you to act urgently to stop the imminent and unprecedented demolition of the entire village of Khan Al Ahmar in the occupied West Bank. I ask that you take the steps suggested at the end of this email ahead ofthis Thursday in order to halt these imminent illegal demolitions.
As reported widely, including in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz, all 42 homes and businesses in the village of Khan Al Ahmar were served with demolition orders by the Israeli military on Sunday. The villagers were informed they had only five days to object to the demolitions. A court case has now been arranged for this Thursday, February 23, after which the demolitions could take place at any point.
The demolition of the entire village will leave hundreds of men, women and children homeless in grave contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention (4GC). Article 46 of 4GC prohibits the destruction of personal property by an Occupying Power unless it is rendered absolutely necessary by military operations. Article 49 prohibits all forcible transfers of civilian populations by an Occupying Power.
The recent UN Security Council Resolution 2334, which the UK voted for,condemned the “demolition of homes and displacement of Palestinian civilians, in violation of international law”.
As Haaretz reports, the Israeli authorities have confirmed that such a widespread issuance of demolition orders was unprecedented and that this is a declaration of intention in advance of an attempt to evacuate the entire village.
I ask that you act urgently ahead of this Thursday. Please can you:
- Ask the UK Prime Minister at Prime Minister’s Questions tomorrow to make urgent representations to the Israeli government to reverse the demolition orders;
- Ask the UK International Development Secretary at International Development Questions tomorrow what plans are in place to provide urgent humanitarian assistance to the hundreds of Palestinians who will be made homeless by the demolitions;
- Ask the Irish Foreign Minister at Foreign Affairs and Trade Questions tomorrow to make urgent representations to the Israeli government to reverse the demolition orders;
- Contact the UK Foreign Secretary / Irish Foreign Minister urgently to ask him to make immediate representations to the Israeli Embassy and government to reverse the demolition orders;
- Contact the UK Foreign Office / Irish Foreign Ministry urgently to ask that diplomats visit Khan Al Ahmar with other Heads of Missions as a public sign of support to the community. This follows a similar visit made by all EU Heads of Missions in 2015 to the village of Susiya. The international publicity from the visit was vital in helping to halt the planned demolitions in that community.
The short film Nowhere Left to Go gives an insight into the lives of Palestinians in the Khan Al Ahmar area targeted for transfer and forcible displacement.
Please take urgent action to stop this imminent violation of international law. I look forward to hearing your response.